17 December, 2008

Breaking Blog Silence


Flowers, Temple of Heaven park, Beijing. I chose this picture because it reminds me of a flower laden path towards a brighter future.


I am finally breaking blog silence. So many words have been said about the unfortunate events which occurred from 26 to 29 December 08 in local and international media. At the time, wether you were in a train or were simply walking down the street, you only heard about the horror of the unfolding events.

It was surreal to find oneself caught in this web of interdependence, where we were turned into spectators of death and destruction. While we slept, ate and watched the continuous stream of media footage, people lost their lives, were injured and traumatized for life, something in me and everyone changed, irrevocably.

During those days and in the aftermath I could not bring myself to write anything about it which would be published on the internet. Of course I spoke about it, it was all one could think about.

Seeing men with guns in camouflage guarding the station where I alight for work , walking past metal detectors, listening to announcements alerting you to unclaimed baggage that may contain explosives is giving me a glimpse of what life must be like for people in conflict-zones.


Realizations – within and without.
Inward - I don’t see myself coming to town (as we call south Bombay) six days a week anymore. All life is precious and I might as well live as if I am on a sacred journey. Outwardly, where do we go from here? I will leave asking of major questions to more knowing minds but can we re-write history in a brief period? After I read ‘Three Cups of Tea’ by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin I realized that the problem is very deep rooted. I would think it has to do with ignorance, no education, a situation where madarasas crop up sooner than non-secular schools.

Respect in our hearts, sending out love.
Thich Nhat Hanh is a Zen Master who has done a lot for promoting peace and I like his writings. The first book I had read was 'Old Path, White Clouds', it changed me and I have read more books written by him since then. Recently he visited India.
In his pocket-sized book on walking meditation , Thich Nhat Hanh speaks about, how on his return to France after witnessing some shocking incidents he was repulsed by the contrasting sight of people living extravagantly, and he vowed to live in such a way that would help others.

Coming back to what I said about being on a sacred journey, with respect in our hearts for the lives lost and so that peace may grow we can go about our daily lives sending out waves of peace and harmony. Every positive thought matters, cultivate them today.

Returning arrows with flowers
Another thing, I could not understand people’s reactions – all those hate sms’s, what was that all about? Fixing appointments between terrorists and God ! have we forgotten ?
“An eye for an eye, makes the whole world blind” – Gandhi

Related links
* Plum Village where Thich Nhat Hanh lives
http://www.plumvillage.org/
* more about Three Cups of Tea
http://www.threecupsoftea.com


Peace, love , light and harmony !

1 comment:

zooms said...

I was so delighted to discover your delightful and insightful blog, via Samantha Honey, I think, and then I realised and respected your silence and hoped that all was well with you.
Your chosen photograph, and sentiment, is beautiful, I look forward to exploring the links, and I wish for you ,and for everyone, a world where we can live with love, respect, tolerance and a greater understanding that acknowledges the differences are what make us special.
I am glad that you are back and I look forward to visiting this special place often.
As I write this Bob Marley's WAR is playing on the radio.

Followers