23 October, 2009

From my library- Rumi's Daughter


image taken from sufibookstore


Lately i've been getting this urge to read voraciously. I have been looking around in bookstores for material to read read, if you know what I mean, to be transported to another time and space, to live in a world populated with ideas and people that make you feel as if you changed after turning the page. And so I quickly finished reading (need to slow down sometimes!) the first book that came my way, Rumi's Daughter by Muriel Maufroy.

Kimya, as she was called really did exist, she was adopted by Rumi and married Shams, his spiritual friend. The story is set in Anatolia at the time when the Byzantine Empire was at its decline and the threat of Mongol invasion loomed. Here is a link to an extract fromt the book

Why did I read it? The reasons are the same for me to recommend it. I feel a call to such places that remind me of fountains, turquoise, poetry and tea, to be in the world of Jalalud'din Rumi and whirling dervishes for a while. Rumi was a mystical poet, born in 1207 on the Eastern shores of the Persian Empire. Altough the book itself does not carry his verses an interest in Sufi philosophy is enough to draw one to read about the girl-woman Kimya's burning journey towards the Infinite.
Love & light!

No comments:

Followers