15 November, 2008

Woman and leaf.

Woman and leaf
This is a water colour on paper I did more than two years ago. I have not repeated this theme recently. I chose this watercolour which is quiet and shows inward reflection, perhaps because thesedays that is how I feel.
The colours of the leaf and of the woman are those of autumn, they also reveal how the watercolour began, the first washes of warm colour, then the darker colours surrounding the two motifs
There is very faint horizon which is really the outline of a low mountain range. I could see this mountain from the window of my room in Leh (Ladakh), the hour is when night falls and you see the first stars and the clouds reflect the very last light after the sun has gone down.
Although my paintings are realistic they are done from the mind's eye. I find this practise very interesting, it allows me to see, feel, absorb and live with a certain idea and then one day I draw or write about it from my heart-mind. One could say there is a poetic feeling to my work.
The leaf is commonly known as camel's foot. I'm drawn to leaves and I like to make studies of them in watercolours or simply to pick them up and have a closer look for their beautiful colour, shape.
There! I have waxed eloquent enough ....will post more images of sketches and drawings since I would like to give the feeling of an artist's diary/journal/sketch-book which is more personal.
Love + light

No comments:

Followers